Next month is the 25th anniversary of our favourite film, Thelma & Louise. Can you believe it?
It was a pioneering and controversial film, a stereotype-busting reimagination of the road trip buddy movie showing two heroines responding to male violence with guns. It was nominated for six Academy Award nominations (winning Best Original Screenplay). Twenty-five years on, it’s still at the core of popular culture – there’s even an argument that it contains the first on-screen selfie.
Watch the original 1991 trailer and remind yourself of the fabulousness of Thelma & Louise.
Here are some of our favourite quotes – little chunks of wisdom and laughter for every mood!
1. Louise Sawyer: You get what you settle for.
2. Thelma Dickinson: I don't ever remember feeling this awake.
3. Louise: You shoot off a guy's head with his pants down, believe me, Texas ain't the place you want to get caught.
4. Louise: You've always been crazy, this is just the first chance you've had to express yourself.
5. Thelma: Louise, shoot the radio
Louise: [she fires at the radio]
Thelma: The POLICE radio, Louise!
6. Thelma: [with her gun to the state trooper's head] I swear three days ago neither one of us would've EVER pulled a stunt like this, but if you'd ever meet my husband you'd understand why.
7. Thelma: You said you 'n' me was gonna get out of town and for once just really let our hair down. Well darlin', look out 'cause my hair is comin' down!
8. Thelma: You awake?
Louise: Guess you could call it that, my eyes are open.
Thelma: I'm awake too. I feel awake.
Thelma: I feel really awake. I don't recall ever feeling this awake. You know? Everything looks different now. You feel like that? You feel like you got something to live for now?
9. Louise: In the future, when a woman is crying like that, she isn't having any fun.
10. Louise: You shoot off a guy's head with his pants down, believe me, Texas ain't the place you want to get caught.
11. Louise: You finally got laid properly, I'm so proud.
12. Thelma: [stopping suddenly at the edge of a cliff] What is this?
Louise: I don't know, I think... I think it's the vast Grand Canyon!
Thelma: Isn't it beautiful?
Louise: Yeah, it's something.
13. Thelma Dickinson: Something's, like, crossed over in me and I can't go back. I mean I just couldn't live.
14. J.D. (Brad Pitt): Now, I’ve always believed if done properly armed robbery doesn't have to be a totally unpleasant experience.
Thelma: You’re a real live outlaw aren’t you?
J.D. Well, I may be the outlaw, darling, but you're the one stealin' my heart.
15. Max: You know, the one thing I can't figure out are these girls real smart or real real lucky?
Hal Slocumb: Don't matter. Brains'll only get you so far and luck always runs out.
Now that you're feeling all fired up and fabulous, plan your own Thelma & Louise movie night. Invite a bunch of girlfriends over, crack open a bottle (or three) or wine and settle down to watch one of the greatest films about female friendship ever made. You can use our Meet-up tool to help you organise it.
When you've watched the film again, I expect you'll feel the pull of the open road (hopefully not the pull of the vast chasm of the Grand Canyon!) so why not join one of these awesome road trips, or plan your own?
- MA to MT
- Road trip LA to Vancouver
- Canadian Rockies coach tour
- USA roadtrip - New Orleans to San Francisco
And here's some more inspiration for planning your own road trip: Chile's Route 11: one of the world's most scenic drives