- Won't break the bank
- Age range
- 35-44, 45-54, 55-64, 65 and above
Volunteer in one of a number of projects and spend one weekend on a trip to the Cape Coast area and another to the Volta Delta area.
Perfect for a first African experience! Come and volunteer as a teacher in either:
-a nursery school
- school for disadvantaged children/street children (my favourite!)
- in a secondary school
- after school homework club (this could be combined with teaching in the morning)
- as a sports coach (football, rugby, hockey, boxing, basketball, tennis) - the sports coaching tends to be after school clubs so could be combined with teaching in the mornings
- shadow a doctor, nurse, midwife or dentist
- shadow a vet or veterinary nurse
- work looking after endangered primates in a breeding program for rescued monkeys from the pet trade
- work as a physio with the community, schools and the football club
- work with horses sharing your skills with the carers to improve the standards of horsemanship and stablemanship - may be possible to ride too if you are a good rider.
- Fashion - help the ladies design and make fashionable clothes that they can sell. Learn all about the national fabrics.
- Hairdressing - teach barbering skills
At the weekends spend one visiting the Cape Coast area with its famous Castle where the slaves were kept awaiting shipment to the Americas and Europe (harrowing but worthwhile experience), visit the Kakum National Park, Canopy Walk, Crocodile Farm. On the other weekend, visit the beautiful Volta Delta area famous for river trips, animals and relaxing. This is an opportunity to get involved in one or more of these projects, get to know the real Ghanaians, experience the food, the culture and also share your skills and passion with others. And have some fun with a group of like minded ladies!