Forget Valentine’s Day. It’s all about Galentine’s Day in 2019.
So grab your girlfriends and make plans to celebrate some of the other important – and perhaps even longer lasting – relationships in your life.
Image by DFID on flickr
“Every February 13th, my ladyfriends and I leave our husbands and our boyfriends at home, and we just come and kick it, breakfast-style. Ladies celebrating ladies. ”
- Take an epic road trip. In the true spirit of Thelma & Louise, gather a few of your most adventurous pals and pile in the car for an unforgettable road trip. Road trips in Australia, the Faroe Islands and all around the USA are currently being planned on Thelma & Louise. Join one, or start your own!
- Relax on a spa day. If you’re partial to a spot of pampering, book an indulgent day in a local spa with a group of your most luxury-loving friends. Check out the spa breaks currently being planned on Thelma & Louise.
- Take afternoon tea. Get the conversation flowing over a glorious three-tiered selection of finger sandwiches, cakes and scone. Oh, and a few flutes of champagne never hurt!
- Kick off the day with brunch. Is there a better way to start the day than over a long brunch with a group of ladies who really ‘get’ you in a way that nobody else does? Parks & Recreation fans can pay tribute to Amy Poehler, the Founding Mother of Galentine’s Day, by making it all about the waffles.
- Dine in that restaurant you’ve been meaning to check out. Galentine’s Day is the perfect excuse (if you needed one) for finally booking a table at that new restaurant you’ve been meaning to check out. Or you could introduce some of your ladyfriends to your all-time favourite eatery.
- Learn something new. Bond and get those synapses snapping as you learn a new skill together. Try a life drawing class, learn to make sushi, or even go stand-up paddle boarding. Who cares if your picture is more hackneyed than it is Hockney – it’s all about spending quality time together.
- Sing up a storm at karaoke. It’s a special kind of friend who will duet with you in a karaoke booth on a drizzly afternoon but there are few activities that break the ice so quickly – and boost your mental health – as singing. If you like the sound of this (pun intended), why not find your local karaoke bar and set up a meetup with other women near you who love to travel – and to sing!
- Awareness march for endometriosis, London, UK, 24 March 2019
- Shaw Festival, Ontario, Canada, 1 May 2019
- Week in Dalyan, Turkey, 23 May 2019
- Coffee, wine, walk, chat in Bristol, UK, 28 May 2019
- Start your own meetup!