You may remember Nora from the podcast we did with her for her last adventure. Well, it’s only been eight months since Nora returned from her baptism-of-fire Amsterdam to Bali journey, but she’s already well on the way to planning her next epic trip. And this time she’ll travel due south…
“I will ride from the Netherlands up to the North Cape in Norway then turn around and go as far south as I possibly can, cross the African continent and visit the South Cape in South Africa.”
“I want to see the Africa of the sad stories for myself and hopefully discover that there are also happy stories to tell and live the adventure.”
The biggest difference between this trip and my last is, of course, that I will not be going alone anymore. It’s going to be a huge change and I hope it will allow me, us to explore even more remote areas and take some more risks.
“Because we will be together we can go further from civilisation without compromising safety.”
I hope to ride more offroad because of this and I hope to capture more culture and local people on my videos.
I’m looking forward to seeing every single place on the route! Just think about the route real quick – we’ll be driving from Scandinavia, the richest and safest places in Europe, through rugged East Europe to Egypt diving into Africa with places like Ethiopia and Rwanda. All these places will have their place in this journey. They will all teach me something different.
“I can’t choose between the fjords, the volcanos, the gorillas or the beaches. I’m looking forward to all of them.”
I’m not even especially worried about any of the more notorious places on the map. We will be following the East Coast of Africa, which is relatively safe and stable. But this is Africa, so you never know what will happen. Isn’t that the exciting part of it all?!
Image by @walkinshawphotography
I plan ahead by about three days :) I just need to know two things: is the country safe enough to travel through based on stories of other travelers, and do I require a visa and where can I get that? Otherwise, I know I will roughly travel at 50k/h and spend €50 per day so I know how long I’ll be gone and how much money I need.
“All you need for such a journey is the right mindset, all the skills you need you can pick up along the way.”
- Don’t let going alone stop you, it’s actually easier to travel solo as a woman then as a man.
- Don’t get bogged down in the details, it will work itself out. And if it hasn’t then it will if you just give it more time.
- Trust your instincts. If it doesn’t feel right, go.
- Ride a Connemara pony (or bike) around Ireland
- Experience the nomadic way of life in Mongolia
- Travel India by train
- Trek Turkey’s 300-mile Lycian Way
- Ride the Trans-Siberian from Moscow to Vladivostok
- Have an all-American road trip adventure on Route 66
- Road trip through the eastern national parks of the USA
- Vagabond around the world
- Go Greek Island hopping
- Tour southern Europe